Friday, October 3, 2008

My, My What a Surprise

I walked out in the yard yesterday morning, something I do every day, but yesterday was different. I'd cut down all the Mexican petunias the evening before, and I was inspecting the newly opened up space and how much I didn't like seeing the parts of the fence the petunias used to cover. They will grow back, and judging from the size of the stalks, they'd not been pruned back--ever!! Much to my amazement, there was a grand 12" long bloom stalk off a cactus, that just sprouted overnight. And the flower was opening up with the sun emerging over the treeline. I am overjoyed that I saw this spectacle, as often cacti only bloom momentarily and can often do so without being noticed. The photos do not do it justice, but they're the only preservative I have. And to think, I'd thought about giving all my cacti away to keep pets and small children safe. Glad I've held on to them, further reinforcement that they truly are spectacular and amazing.

2 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

this is great! you are so fortunate to have seen the bloom.

Dr. Wifey said...

question for the gardner:
i have a black thumb. recently i bought a wandering jew for my office. it has been doing very well and thriving until last week. i noticed some of the growth was dying, so i snipped off the dark pieces. and kind of stuck them back into the dirt (i have heard they root easily). and i watered the plant. now the plant looks bad. do you think i over-watered it? can it make a comeback?