Sunday, September 7, 2008

New Habit #2 Budgeting and NOT Shopping

I drug DH to see Dave Ramsey live yesterday. Ok, I've been a fan for a long time, thanks to my good friend Froggy. And I've tried to live by him -- but DH always said he was NOT going to live like a pauper. So, to console myself, since he could blow the budget, I did too by shopping.

While I was still employed, we were living large. Not really, but we got a lot of nice things we'd been wanting for the new home. And then I was unemployed, don't fret, we saved for the rainstorm...and we haven't hit savings yet. But life is sure a lot harder when you're used to blowing money and suddenly you have to watch what you buy at the grocery store.

I must say yesterday was VERY refreshing. AND he is HILARIOUS! I laughed til I cried a lot. And not boo-hoo, just laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. Anyhoo, I spent $76 on 2 tickets. Yeah, if you're like me, you're going, no wonder he's rich, you idiot. I already knew what he had to say and I don't need to hear him cause I already bought two of his books. But, I figured in this financially belt tightening time, if he got through to my husband, then it was the best money I ever spent.

Guess what? He did. Granted DH let me know how awful it was to sit through that, but he did admit that it was funny and he learned something and he was willing to try it if I would take part of the blame in who spends the most money. Well, I rightly always have and did then. I know, I know, I can't go shopping anymore. Well good, I don't need to. It's part of being green. So, today we have our first budget meeting. And we have to have one each month or every time we have an emergency and have to restructure the budget....and Dave says we'll have 18 the first month. He's probably right. He also says this will unite us more than anything other than having kids (and more than that for some)....well, I think he's right. And I hope he's right. We need to be united....

stay tuned to see how fast we get debt free even while I am job hunting and studying to be another degree toting graduate.

No comments: